The rapid development concerning the increasing digitalisation of almost all areas of life and industries is leading to an acute shortage in the IT workforce – both on an international and national level. Here, the DigitalCity.Wien educational initiative has begun offering an attractive course programme in cooperation with the City of Vienna and the Viennese ICT sector.
With the launch of the joint DigitalCity.Wien initiative in 2014, the City of Vienna and the Viennese ICT sector have set the right wheels in motion to confront these new challenges. By introducing targeted sets of measures, the shortage in IT workers should be counteracted in through their combined forces in the future.
As part of the DigitalCity.Wien educational initiative, representatives from businesses and partners of the DigitalCity.Wien initiative visit Viennese schools to tell them about their typical working day, answer questions, clarify the requirements of today’s working world, present innovative projects, report on current trends, developments and their potential effects, or hold age-appropriate workshops on specific issues and topics. The DigitalCity.Wien educational initiative brings digital experts together with interested representatives from schools and parents.
The Smart City Wien Agency is - in accordance with the partners - responsible for the coordination and management of the educational initiative.
The objectives are:
- To motivate children and young people to choose an educational path and career with a digital focus.
- To support teachers in building up and expanding their knowledge in digital subject areas.
- To increase the awareness of parents that a top-class education in the digital area is really crucial for their children’s future.
- To encourage educational institutions, private educational initiatives, important multipliers, and representatives of the private sector to join forces.
- To sensitise public bodies to the importance of the topic and the easing of the framework conditions.
DigitalCity.Wien Booking Platform at Courseticket
The entire course programme can be found on a central booking platform, made available by Courseticket free of charge. The courses can be booked for schools and pupils at no cost. After the course has been booked, a time and date can be selected where representatives from businesses and partners of the DigitalCity.Wien-Initiative will visit the schools and classes. So far, over 200 courses have already been booked through the platform.